Subject: Re: Reading volume name
From: [email-masked] (Son H. Le)
To: [email-masked] (blitz-list)
Date: Wed, 18 May 1994 21:19:49 +1000 (EST)

> > ARRRGGGHHHH!!! This almost drove me crazy!! (;

> No pun intended, I hope 8)

No. (;

> Thanks man, I was begining to think I was the only one on this list that
> tries to do things that are not listed in the manuals!

Yeah, with the entire list, sometimes you feel like you're the only one
posting. I know, coz no one has answered a question I posted long ago. *sigh*

> > Firstly, the DosList should contain a C union of three different
> > structures (ie. DosListUnion should be either dol_Handler, dol_Volume or 
> > dol_AssignList, not all three!) The .dt_Volume newtype provides a 
> > workaround.

> OK I am being stupid.

No comment. (;
It's a bug in the structure. Guess I better inform Acid Software.

> > Secondly, a BSTR is a BPTR with the first byte containing string length.
> > To convert a BPTR to a normal Amiga pointer you must multiply it by 4.
> > ie. APTR = BPTR << 2

> Yeah, I did try that and still got crap, must have been doing something
> wrong, again 8)
> Ho hum.

A combination of error by Acid and this, had me wondering too. Finally
realised the mistake after about an hour of looking at the C includes and
staring at your program.

> > Thirdly, you've got a weird way of accessing newtype structures. (;

> Yep, but I types this in from memory when I got here, as I forgot my source
> 8)

At least that's what you claim. (;

> > Okay, here is the working version.

> You're a champ.

You're too kind, and so right! (;

Bye!
Son Le

-- 
Son H. Le                             email: [email-masked]
          "Nothing comes from nothing, nothing ever could..."